I've wanted to write this story out, even though it's in his baby book, I want to share some pictures from the past year and the story of why today, February 12, will always be a special day for the Dotson Family.
This is your story, Tiger.
On a Thursday afternoon, February 12, 2015 to be exact, we were running errands in Baton Rouge for the Church's upcoming Valentine's Dinner. We were checking out at Sam's when my phone rang. It was Mrs. Val from the home development office. She said "Hi Mrs. Dotson, we have a 2 day old asian-african american baby boy, he's in the NICU at Women's Hospital and he's ready to be discharged. He needs a home." I had no words. I looked at your daddy and I mouthed "A BABY!!!!" and he looked around the store as if there were babies for sale and asked "a baby? where? what?" So I told Mrs. Val that I would call her right back after I talked to Daddy and I told her to not call ANYONE else!
So we loaded the car as I explained to Daddy what Mrs. Val had told me. We drove to Target, as it was suppose to be our next stop. Daddy could not even park the car because he was so emotional. I told him to just go to the very back and park. We parked, talked, prayed, cried, took a few deep breaths and called Mrs. Val back to tell her we were on our way to the hospital. We were taken back to your room and saw you for the very first time. We met your sweet nurses and we were scared. You were hooked up to monitors from being born prematurely and in respiratory distress. We had to learn to feed you a certain way to help you swallow. Your fists were locked so tight into your little body, but you managed to grab on to our fingers immediately. The nurses said that you had been fussy, not a great eater and you were on some very strong medicines to help you calm down. As soon as we held you, rocked you and fed you, you became calm, you didn't cry and even rested with us just sitting in the room with you, without holding you. The nurses were amazed. I have no doubt that you knew you were ours and we knew you were ours in those moments. They were able to decrease your meds and you were off of them by the next morning!
We had to leave you there that night. We went to the store to pick up some things, we prepared your room and we called in the "troops". Our friends and family were ready to kick it into high gear to welcome you home! We didn't sleep that night. We were too nervous and excited to get back to the hospital to hold you. We were at the hospital at 7am. They began the discharge process and by Friday afternoon, on February 13th, 2015, less than 24 hours later, we were home.
We have had a rollercoaster year of emotions and unknowns. But God knew His plan for your first year of life all along. He is our hope and we hope that you will put your hope in Him every day of your life. Your story isn't over! You are a blessing to us, Tiger. We thank God for your life.
Love you forever,
Momma and Daddy







Comments