We are in the midst of packing the rest of the house (all of the stuff we left behind in November). I'm so excited about opening all of those boxes!!! It will be like Christmas in May!
While I'm excited, I realize more and more that we can truly live without so much stuff. We have lived for 6 months without all the extra stuff. I want to make it a goal to give to others all of my extra stuff and to not hold on to anything. These material things mean nothing. I find that so many people just hold on to stuff "just in case", but why hold on to stuff when someone else might need it. Do we really need 4 or more sets of sheets for 1 bed? Do we really need so many towels? Do we really need so many pairs of socks? okay i really hate wearing socks, but someone else could benefit from my hatred of socks :)
I think of how very blessed we are. We have Christ to lean on, who always provides and why so abundantly? We deserve nothing.
In reading Knowing God, by JI Packer, we came across a chapter about giving. Basically what it comes down to, is that we called to GIVE UNTIL IT HURTS. When have you given until it hurt? Most of the time we give until we can just deal with it... not until it absolutely hurts us to give. God gave his Son and He HURT for us. (that grammar sounds funny). But it's true. I want to challenge whomever might read this to join me in GIVING UNTIL IT HURTS! Not out of pity, not for our own glory or "brownie points", but because it Glorifies God when we give. He is pleased when we give. There are many ways to give such as in service, materials, food, and prayer. How can we serve God, until it hurts, to Glorify Him?
While I'm excited, I realize more and more that we can truly live without so much stuff. We have lived for 6 months without all the extra stuff. I want to make it a goal to give to others all of my extra stuff and to not hold on to anything. These material things mean nothing. I find that so many people just hold on to stuff "just in case", but why hold on to stuff when someone else might need it. Do we really need 4 or more sets of sheets for 1 bed? Do we really need so many towels? Do we really need so many pairs of socks? okay i really hate wearing socks, but someone else could benefit from my hatred of socks :)
I think of how very blessed we are. We have Christ to lean on, who always provides and why so abundantly? We deserve nothing.
In reading Knowing God, by JI Packer, we came across a chapter about giving. Basically what it comes down to, is that we called to GIVE UNTIL IT HURTS. When have you given until it hurt? Most of the time we give until we can just deal with it... not until it absolutely hurts us to give. God gave his Son and He HURT for us. (that grammar sounds funny). But it's true. I want to challenge whomever might read this to join me in GIVING UNTIL IT HURTS! Not out of pity, not for our own glory or "brownie points", but because it Glorifies God when we give. He is pleased when we give. There are many ways to give such as in service, materials, food, and prayer. How can we serve God, until it hurts, to Glorify Him?
Comments