Hello!!!


I have wanted to update the blog, but I haven't had the energy. It's been much easier to let Kelly send updates via e-mail and for me to make quick updates on Facebook, and then sleep for 3 or 4 hours.
For those who aren't up to date, click here, for an overview of how this all began. For those of you who know how it all began, click here, for an update on why I had the surgery a second time. I recommend reading these 2 post before reading anymore, or else you might be a bit confused!!!

As for the surgery, it went well. The tumor was larger than expected and bone had begun to grow inside my spine. They had to cut that bone out, so the surgery lasted close to 6 hours. The difference in the tumor from last time is that this time, the tumor was smaller, but in a more critical area. When he showed us the MRI, the way the tumor was positioned, it basically had pressed my spinal cord flat, like a pancake (Dr. Parent's words, not mine). It was pressing on nerves and as far as being positioned in a "critical area", this means that from the waist down, my functioning is little to none, although it's improving daily! Dr. Parent's statement was "I moved a lot of furniture around in there". Basically, with this type of tumor, even though benign, it's location is what makes it so hard to deal with. Dr. Parent said he was as aggressive this time as he dared to be. He does not want to have to repeat the surgery, he will continue to follow me closely.
As far as my "issues": I am walking using a walker. My legs and the bottom of my feet are numb. My left leg is still weak and they have said that it will take about 6 months for my left leg to gain equivalent strength to my right leg.
I have the best home health agency providing Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy. I didn't go to in-patient rehab because the nerves still need time to wake up and heal, and rehab is intense. I am not going to out-patient rehab, because I can't ride in the car comfortably or walk down/up the stairs to get there yet!!! So my goal is ultimately to go to out-patient therapy, but for now, I have 2 awesome therapists who are wonderful!!! I call my PT, Jillian Michaels :) She cracks the whip. After she leaves, I take a long nap!!!
I currently have an in/out catheter. We don't know when that function will return. I will see my specialist in September. Dr. Parent said it could take a few more days to months to return (this isn't the first time I've had to deal with this).
I have an awesome husband who has faithfully stuck to the "in sickness and in health, for better or for worse" part of our vows, to learn how to care for me in these ways and he has truly done a WONDERFUL job!!!
God has provided us with SO much. I'm so thankful for our church, pastors, family, and friends who have done more than we could ever expected or asked of them.
For those of you who are providing and have provided prayers, meals, calls, cards, visits, snacks, and other forms of entertainment for us, we are very appreciative of you!!!
If you who are visually nauseated or disgusted, don't read any further! My sutures came out today, so I'll leave you with few pics of before and after :) you know I must be losing my mind and modesty :)
post surgery day 1 & 2 and right before removal of sutures.
after the sutures were taken out! Kelly helped Teresa, the nurse, take them out... When we left, Dr. Parent and Teresa told Kelly that he should become a doctor! :)


God Bless,




Comments
Love y'all!
praying for you!
Trey and Elizabeth
You're doing awesome and keep that positive attitude! You have come a LONG way in a short time...
We love ya!