Skip to main content

notes unscrambled...

I keep meaning to get a new journal to write my sermon notes in, but as you can see, I keep forgetting. This is what my bulletins look like when I come out of church. Today, particularly, I wrote not only on the front, but also inside and on the back! As of today, a new journal is at least on my Christmas list.


Today, Pastor Carl preached a very convicting message from Genesis 13. It truly has me thinking. 

He began by asking the congregation the following question, "How good is your faith in the midst of failure?" I, at this point, was thinking to myself,  "My faith is the only thing that gets me thru failure". I was thinking wrong. I don't have faith in times of failure. That is what I love about how Pastor Carl brings us God's word. He is not afraid to show us just how we might be mistaken by the way we are living. 

In the book of Genesis, chapter 13, Abram and Lots family possessions (Abram is Lots uncle), had grown so vast in riches, including material possessions & livestock that the land could not support them. To prevent a family dispute they decided the families would go their separate ways. Abram, who had the right to choose first because he was the patriarch of the family, offered Lot the first choice of where he would go. Lot made his decision on what he saw with his eyes, he surveys "the whole plain of the Jordan and saw that it was well watered, like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, toward Zoar." (Genesis 13:10) Abram's choice was made for him, so he settled in Canaan. Lot chose to go to the area that would continue to grow his wealth, while Abram had no choice but to return to Canaan, where his growth did not seem to be guaranteed. 

With eyes of faith, Abram knows that God will prevail. Abram was able to "LET GO" because he KNEW that his future was in the palm of God's hand. Lot was given the oppurtunity to choose first. He used NO faith in his decision making process. He used his eyes. He used his eyes just as Eve did. The fruit was pleasing to her eyes. Lot forfits the blessing of God. The blessing was attached to Abram. God was going to be with Abram. Lot did not see this as a blessing. He had no faith. Abram knew that he was already blessed by God, not because of his material possessions or his fame, but because God was with him and always promised to be with him.  This allowed Abram to give freely to his nephew, Lot. 

Pastor Carl asked the congregation, "Lately, have you found yourself hording and holding onto everything you have. Have you noticed we are unwilling to help because the status of society?" 
The answer, for myself, is yes. I do find that I hold onto everything I have, because I am so afraid of losing it. We have not shown faith at all in our finances. I can give many excuses as Kelly lost his job, we're "saving" for IVF, someone took $1200 from us, I had to have surgery... but the truth is, while we have used the excuse that we are being "cautious", we really are lacking in faith. That hits hard when you look at it. The truth is that us being cautious could very well be separating us from the blessing of God.  The reality for us is that we have been greatly blessed by God because he gave us his son, Jesus Christ, what more can we want?  Why would we not freely give, since we are already so blessed?  

The sermon was summarized by asking, Would we give everything if only to have God and His promise? In todays society, social groups, work, material possessions & wealth can become a substitute god. We can serve the Living God or the god of choices of this world. Abram was content to lose everything that Lot might choose if only for him to have God and God's pleasure with him.

The greatest truth is that God's promise cannot fail. Faith is when you know this with no uncertainty. God has already assessed us and knows how we will react. Knowing this, we can survive the exposure of our sin to a Holy God. 

One last question.... Why would we choose Heaven before Hell, but not Heaven before Earth?






Comments

Maggie said…
I love it. Thanks so much...I'm planning on listening to that one again as soon as they post it!
Rob and Bethany said…
What a great message!! Rob and I were glad we were actually in town this weekend to hear it! Hope y'all are doing great.
Unknown said…
Brian, Kelly did contribute to the summary of the sermon... He doesn't have much time to blog these days working 8 - 12 hours a day at the coffee shop and teaching night classes at Belhaven. I rarely find the time. I will relay the message that you have requested a blog from him.
Unknown said…
Hey Amy, its great to hear how things are going with you guys... just missed my wee mate. Tell him to keep punching in the hours. What about you guys and Ireland? When are we going to see ya'll ??
Unknown said…
I hope SOON!!!

I'm hoping your comment will make Kelly blog more! I like reading his stuff more than mine! Sorry I deleted it, and I have no clue how to get it back.

What is the link to your blog? May I have it, please??? I'd like to add it to our list to follow... when I click on your name is says your blog is blocked...

Any mission work needed there? We could "raise" money for mission work next summer... hehe

Popular posts from this blog

Post Surgery Update- 2 weeks

Hello!!! I have wanted to update the blog, but I haven't had the energy. It's been much easier to let Kelly send updates via e-mail and for me to make quick updates on Facebook, and then sleep for 3 or 4 hours. For those who aren't up to date, click here , for an overview of how this all began. For those of you who know how it all began, click here , for an update on why I had the surgery a second time. I recommend reading these 2 post before reading anymore, or else you might be a bit confused!!! A s f o r t h e s u r g e r y , i t w e n t w e l l . T h e t u m o r w a s l a r g e r t h a n e x p e c t e d a n d b o n e h a d b e g u n t o g r o w i n s i d e m y s p i n e . T h e y h a d t o c u t t h a t b o n e o u t, s o t h e s u r g e r y lasted close to 6 hours. The difference in the tumor from last time is that this time, the tumor was smaller, but in a more critical area. When he showed us the MRI, the way the tumor was positione...

A Week of Injections... and Frustrations

My IVF nurse called Monday to let me know that I needed to start my Lupron injection. So I had the joy of giving myself my very first injection. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't even feel the needle. I was so nervous, I watched multiple videos, read blogs and so did Kelly - as he is "the back up plan" - if for some reason I couldn't do it. Well... there we were standing in the kitchen with everything sterilized and ready. I grabbed the fat on my thigh and Kelly says, "Oh! My Dad and the boys are here" (they were bringing me banana pudding) so I said, "it's now or never" and I did it without flinching! I was so excited to have done that and it be no big deal... until about 20 minutes later when I began to vomit. So began a pretty long night. I already had a lot of pain from the surgery and then vomiting did not make it any more comfortable. I wasn't able to eat anything but crackers for dinner (not a bad thing for my diet!) The rest of ...

2008 Chickfila Bowl

It was the best of times.... It was the worst of times.... LSU did not have particularly have the best of seasons ( the worst of times ), but we had the opportunity to watch LSU play in the Chickfila Bowl ( best of times ). It was a good game. The End. Oh yeah, here are some pics from the best of times :) enjoy. Other than the Chickfila Bowl, we were able to enjoy staying in Buckhead, which is a great area to visit. There was a Container Store right by our hotel, which made me VERY happy. We also went to the Jim Henson and Olympic Exhibits at The Atlanta History Center as well as the World of Coca Cola in downtown Atlanta. We enjoyed some great food at The Rock Bottom Brewery and The Cheesecake Factory. On New Year's Day, we headed to visit Ben and Kristie Hogue's "practice" bed and breakfast in Rome, GA. (history note: Rome, GA is named Rome because the town is surrounded by 7 hills just like Rome, Italy). We had a wonderful time catching up, reminiscing, and playing...