
I became a fan of football in general and the NFL in particular in the mid '80's. In 1987 at the tender young age of 10 I proudly donned a tarnished gold colored sweat pants/shirt combo with letters bolder than the color reading, "Who Dat?" I am a football fan. From humble beginnings, simply following LSU football on Saturday and the Saints on Sunday, I have evolved into a week long student of the game. I study teams, players, rosters, depth charts, stadium capacity, defense/offense matchups, gameday weather reports and injury reports. And that is just on Monday morning. By the weekend I have spent far too much time reading and studying all the information that I can get my eyes on just so I can be actively involved in almost every game I have the opportunity to watch.
What cause my drastic change from a casual football fan to a rabid, time consumed fan? Two words: Fantasy Football. I played Fantasy football for the first time in 1999. A group from church (about 30 in all) chose players and went head to head. That year I didn't make the playoffs, but I wasn't the worst team in the league. In 1999 the Internet was still a new thing and most of the scoring was done by hand. Since then Fanstasy Football has become a really big deal, grossing billions of dollars collectively for the internet sites that host leagues.
In 2004, upon my arrival in Jackson for seminary I was asked to join the Old Jackson Football League. Last year in that league I actually made it to the playoffs after winning my first 11 games. It was also last year that Amy expressed her desire to play Fantasy football. We began last year just a two team league, playing against each other. Amy beat the pants off of me last year. We made sure that this year we could play in a full league from the beginning of the season. I had high hopes for sucess this year, seeing as I am the more experienced Fantasy Football player. We are currently in the Fifth Week. My record is 1-3. I have consistently scored the fewest points of every team every week. My lovely wife, however is 4-0 and is wiping the floor with every team she faces. Just look at these numbers...
| 1. | Suga n' Spice | 4-0-0 | 1.000 | 469.24 | W-4 |
vs.
| 10. | Snips and snails... | 1-3-0 | .250 | 335.47 | W-1 |
I know what you are thinking, "Kelly must be trying to lose." I wish i were my friends, i wish I were. No, I think I am just going to give up on Fantasy Football and pick up a hobby that suits me. Something like Sand Painting . Amy, for some reason, continues to ask me for advice. I think she is patronizing me, which i gladly accept. Secretly I have begun to look over her shoulder when she is setting her roster or trying to decide who to pick up as a free agent. I am looking for my Fantasy fortune to change any week now, but the future does not look bright... Amy's future, however, well, She's gonna need shades. She is definitely going to be in the playoffs and I would bet she will be in the championship game. She's already working on her "Sugar and Spice Shuffle" for Pre-Championship press confrences, much like the '86 Bears with their "Superbowl Suffle". She's a good dancer too. At least I will have good tickets for the game!!!
Comments